All Saints Church, Delph Lane.  PR3 1GL

The church is a Grade 2 listed building.  Built in 1905 by Austin & Paley, it is constructed of sandstone rubble with red tile roofs.

It comprises a west tower, a nave and chancel under a continuous roof, and a north transeptal organ chamber with vestry. 

The south chapel was added in 1937.  The early 20th century glass is said to be by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster.

All Saints Church

The WW1 Memorial Window in the church



The WW2 window in the church

The memorial window which commemorates those who served in WW2 is inscribed:

To commemorate those who served in the war of 1939 – 1945 and especially Flying Officer Thomas James Lever Rushton D.F.C. who did not return. 

Thomas James Lever Rushton DFC

Flying Officer 108867.  107 Squadron Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Thomas was born in 1914 in Garstang, the son of James Lever Rushton and Phyllis Rushton.

Thomas was stationed at 75 Operational Training Unit (75 OTU) at Gianaclis in Egypt. 75 OTU was a reconnaissance training unit, converting crews to local flying conditions.

On 9th July 1943, Thomas was the pilot of a Baltimore IIIa aircraft, FA 151 on a night flying exercise when the aircraft crashed into the sea about 3 miles south east of Gianaclis.

Thomas and the other crew member on board were killed. He was 29.

He is buried at Alexandria (Hadra) War Cemetery in Egypt.

The inscription on his headstone reads:

WE GIVE THANKS FOR GOD ALWAYS FOR YOU …MAKING MENTION OF YOU IN OUR PRAYERS

Thomas was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in 1942.

The DFC citation in the London Gazette of 10th November 1942 reads:

“This officer has completed numerous sorties, including many daylight attacks on shipping, aerodromes and  industrial targets.  In June 1942 he participated in a night attack on an aerodrome in the Netherlands.  In spite of heavy opposing fire and searchlight activity, Pilot Officer Rushton bombed dispersal areas and hangars, causing much damage.  Although his aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire which rendered it difficult to control, he flew it to base safely.  This officer has invariably displayed great courage, skill and determination.”

All Saints Churchyard

The Rushton family grave in the churchyard, on which Flying Officer Rushton is commemorated

Woodland near to Lower House Farm

In woodland east of the minor road from Ringing Hill to Barnacre Lodge, on the footpath to Lower House Farm, at the right hand side of the west entrance to the woods is a memorial tree dedicated to Lance Corporal Thomas Hobday, who was killed in WW2.

The Memorial Plaque in the woodland near to Lower House Farm. Photo courtesy of Tony Paton

Thomas Hobday

Corporal NX 46593. 2nd/2nd Machine Gun Battalion Australian Imperial Force

Thomas Hobday was born in Australia in 1914, the son of Frederick and Margaret Hobday of Ashfield, New South Wales.

He was killed in Borneo on 2nd August 1945.  He was 31.

Thomas was originally buried at Papar, but re-buried at Labuan War Cemetery in Malaysia.

The inscription on his headstone reads:

IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR SON AND BROTHER

Original grave of Thomas Hobday in Papar