Garstang’s market cross is a rare survival in Lancashire of an in situ medieval market cross.
It is listed as a scheduled monument by Historic England.
Although some of the monument’s fabric is post medieval, Garstang medieval market cross stands in its original location and retains its original base.
Located in the Market Place in front of the Royal Oak Hotel, it is constructed of sandstone and consists of a base, socket stone, shaft, knop and head, and measures approximately 5m in height.
The base is medieval in date and comprises a flight of three steps which are octagonal in plan. On the centre of the base is the square socket stone. It has undecorated panels on each face and a moulded top. The shaft is a circular tapering Doric column with an enrichment based on alternate eggs and arrowheads, known as egg and dart decoration, around the knop at the top.
The head of the cross is a simple sandstone half globe. The original cross shaft was removed in 1754 because of strong local feelings against Roman Catholics.
It was replaced by the present obelisk which, in 1897, was taken down and rebuilt, with a few alterations, as a jubilee memorial to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 60th year on the throne.
All kerbstones, cobbles and railings are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath these features is included.
Information from Historic England
In 1958?? a double decker Ribble bus caught the flags that had been put across the street for the Children’s Festival and brought the Market Cross down.