This was also one of the town’s largest Posting Inns after the Royal Oak.
In 1824 it is noted that two coaches to the north and two to the south stopped here every day. In September 1824 the Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser was advertising 2 daily post and mail coaches to Edinburgh and Carlisle, both stopping in Garstang.
John Lane’s Masonic Records 1717 – 1894 tell us that it was also the meeting place in 1842 for the Masonic Lodge of Economy, which had been constituted at the Royal Oak in 1830.
By 1842 the inn possessed 3 parlours, a large market room, 8 bedrooms and stabling for 21 horses and 7 beasts.
The oldest parts of the existing building are at the rear, and appear to date from the mid 18th century. However it is more than likely an older hostelry would have stood on the same plot.
The pub name originates from the family crest of the Stanley family, who owned lands around Garstang.
Sir John Stanley married Isabel Lathom in 1385. Isabel was the daughter of Sir Thomas Lathom, who owned lands at Lathom near Ormskirk and also at Knowsley near Liverpool. Isabel inherited the Lathom lands on the death of her father, and they became part of the Stanley estate.
Sir Thomas Lathom had many illegitimate children, one of whom was called Oskatel. He is said to have hidden Oskatel under a tree, in which there was an eagle’s nest, and then took his wife on a walk so that they found the abandoned child. Thomas persuaded Isabel that they should adopt the child, which they did.
When the Stanley family inherited Thomas Lathom’s estates on his death they incorporated the eagle and child (Oskatel) into the family crest. Many pubs on the Lathom estate were called Eagle and Child, and the Garstang one is among them.
In 1851 the Landlord was James Huntington with his wife Isabella.
In 1851 Isabella was the landlady, her husband James having died.
In 1871 the landlord was John Crozier with his wife Ann