Formerly the Wool Pack prior to 1794.
The building was built to replace an older premises with the same name around 1800 – 1810, and the Keppel Family Crest was carved onto a stone plaque on the gable end of the building.
During the mid 1800’s the Pack Horse had room to stable 29 horses, stallion houses where stallions and mares were brought for mating, a shippon for 5 cows and a brewhouse.
At thr rear of the inn there was a garden and a bowling green.
In 1851 the landlady was Elizabeth Dunderdale, a widow.
The inn was sold by the Keppel Estate in 1877, and was closed in 1905 when the publican had his licence revoked.
It then became a Temperance Hotel for a time.
On Thursday 12th December 1907 Annie Ward, the proprietress of the Pack Horse Temperance Hotel, appeared in court for selling intoxicating liquor without a licence on November 28th and 29th and December 5th 1907.
From complaints made to Superintendent Pickering, a policeman and his wife were sent to stay for two periods in November at the house, and later after a search by Superintendent Pickering revealed 130 bottles of champagne, 29 bottles of wine, one gallon jar containing port wine, a bottle of liqueur brandy, two bottles of claret and other bottles containing clarets, cherry brandy, beer, stout, whisky etc.
When people came in, it was stated, and asked for a cup of tea “hot” the defendant brought the tea from the kitchen, the whisky from a sliding cupboard in the bar, and served it to the customer who paid 4d instead of 2d as charged for ordinary tea.
For the defence it was stated the intoxicants were only old stock and only intimate friends of the defendant were served with them.Mrs Ward was fined £25 and costs, including five guineas advocates fee, and all the liqueur was except the champagne was ordered to be confiscated.
The Pack Horse became the Manchester and County Bank in 1925, and the building now houses retail shops.