Skip to content

Town Hall

The Town Hall is situated next to the Market House, in Market Place, Garstang.  The building was opened in 1680, but unfortunately burnt down in 1750.

It was rebuilt in 1755 but was again badly damaged by fire in 1939. 

The flames spread very quickly and soon extended throughout the building, but the heroic efforts of the fire brigade prevented it extending into the market hall next door, and to other nearby buildings.

Saved by firemen from a locker on the first floor were documents relating to the Charter of Incorporation granted on August 6th, 1680 by Charles II. The original Charter of Incorporation was granted to the town by Edward II in 1314. This Charter was surrendered in 1680 when Charles II granted a new one with increased privileges.

In addition to the Charter, documents and the old minute book, other historic articles which were saved from the blaze included a gallon measure bearing the inscription “Imperial Gallon Garstang 1826”; a pair of handcuffs, two halberds; the market bell, and a statue of Queen Victoria.

All these items are still in the possession of the Town Trust, apart from the statue of Queen Victoria.

The town’s ancient stocks were unfortunately lost in the blaze. These were kept in a small gallery above the main room and could not be reached. They were destroyed with a number of chairs, equipment and library books belonging to the British Legion.

Most of the Georgian stone work remained after the fire, and it was incorporated into the rebuild.  The clock tower was a later addition to the building, and was erected thanks to public subscriptions in 1847.  

Above the entrance to the Town Hall are two stone panels commemorating the Jubilees of Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II.