Skip to content

Wyre Bridge

The original stone bridge was built by the first Lord Derby in 1492. The present bridge was built in 1629, and widened in 1829 and again in 1929. There are two arches to the bridge.

There are passing places on the bridge where pedestrians could stand in safety while traffic passes.

In the river by the bridge was a weir and a salmon ladder which made an easy route up for the salmon and sea trout to swim up the river to their spawning grounds. It also enabled the numbers of fish going up to the spawning grounds to be monitored.

The weir was blown up in 1961 as part of the work to straighten the course of the river under the bridge. The weir provided water for the Corn Mill beside the river but was no longer needed when the mill closed.